Welcome to Black Bass Lake City Park, a facility completed by the Eureka Springs Park and Recreation Commission. From humble beginnings as a lumber source and spring water gathering location this area has long contributed to Eureka’s progress and well being. Black Bass Lake was created as a fire protection and drinking water reservoir from the abundant, pure springs in the upper reaches of Old Spring Gulch, including Sycamore, Standing Rock, and Arsenic Springs. The earthen and cut stone dam dates to 1894 and is one of the oldest still standing in the Ozarks. The city now receives water from Beaver Lake via the Carroll Boone Water District, but water is still pumped to a 100′ tall water tower on Hwy 62, as it has been for over a century.
Located just below town in the headwaters of the West Leatherwood Creek valley, visitors descend Oil Springs Road passing historic Oil and Johnson Springs and a wonderful example of a cavernous overhanging ledge on the way to the park. The dam, the area below the dam, and the spillway area are NO access areas. General parking is by the kiosk and across the bridge. There are no facilities at Black Bass Lake.